Glancing around the crowded room, I realized I was surrounded.
Pirates over here. Princesses over there. Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine. Cinderella, Tinkerbell, and the Little Mermaid. Witches and wizards galore.
Yes, Halloween has arrived at my local Goodwill.
Is the holiday season really almost here? It seems like just yesterday I was penning a tribute to pumpkin season, but no. It was nearly a year ago, and pumpkins have once again started trickling into the stands at the farmers market.
image by Suzie T
The holidays can be one of the most hectic, wasteful, planet-destroying times of the year. Or with a little change of behavior and attitude, they can be a great time to show off your green side with thrift store decorations, re-purposed costumes, and handmade gifts.
Here at the Green Phone Booth, we want to help make your holidays more meaningful, so we're inviting all of you to participate in our Meaningful Memories challenge, starting now (in time for Halloween) and continuing through the end of the year.
Every Monday, we'll be blogging about ways to green up our holiday celebrations, but we know you greenies don't need to be shown how it's done...So we're inviting all of our lovely readers to share your inspiration with the rest of us by submitting a guest post to be published here at the Green Phone Booth.
Not sure what to write? Our fabulous Going Green Mama has brainstormed a list of possible topics to get all of our creative juices flowing:
- upcycled/recycled gift ideas
- gifts from the kitchen - the non-cookie kind. :-)
- choosing experiential gifts
- reducing the Christmas clutter (ie decorations)
- shopping for a cause (free trade, etc.)
- handmade gift ideas for the creatively challenged
- handmade gift ideas from your kids
- reduce the impact/stress of holiday travels/events
- stuffing your stockings (thinking of ways we can inject some fun without buying 100 trinkets)
If you'd like to write a guest post for the Green Phone Booth, email me at greenphonebooth [at] gmail [dot] com with your topic idea, and I'll put you on the calendar.
Are you ready to make your holiday memories more meaningful?