- I've been dreaming of getting my own small flock of laying hens for years now, and this year is the year! I'm currently reading up on chickens, selecting breeds and reminding my husband he's going to build a coop this year.
- I want to add some dwarf fruit trees to our tiny orchard of apple trees, planted a few years ago. I'm making a list of varieties I'd like to grow and plan to order them for the spring.
- I'm thinking about changes to our small veggie garden and berry patch. This season, I want to add strawberries, rhubarb, and flowers to attract pollinators.
- Reducing energy consumption is on my to-do list, and I have plans for a clothesline. I think they're beautiful.
- I'm brainstorming ways to have fun outdoors with my son, Joshua, who is almost 10 months old. We spend a lot of time outside enjoying nature and getting dirty, but it's difficult in winter.
Finally, I want to share a recipe. I love to cook from scratch with local foods and my whole family loves these!
Pear Maple Crumble
- 2 pears, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cardamom
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oats
Combine the pears, maple syrup and spices and divide evenly between four 6-ounce ramekins. Combine remaining ingredients with your fingers until crumbly and divide over the ramekins. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm.