a hippie greenmom suddenly has to wear makeup and bling...
The catch: for a gig like that, I can't go as a hippie with bare face, natural lips, flat loose hair, and faded organic cotton skirt. And thus far I have not had good enough luck with the mineral makeup to get away with using it. So I....I....went to Walgreens and bought a thing of ordinary not-at-all Almay foundation, blush, and lipstick. And I did it without even checking the EWG skin deep cosmetic safety website.
(I was pleased later to realize that the stuff I bought at least rated only a 4; I had figured it would be much worse.)
I wore it. My face was all smooth and one color, my cheeks had a nice faux-blush, and my lips looked appropriately deep and polished. I even used a little brow pencil (since my brows are sort of shapeless) and eye shadow. I draw the line at mascara; I don't do mascara.
I looked pretty good, I guess, if I do say so. But my face felt all weird, and the inside of my mouth tasted like lipstick, this icky petroleum-y taste that was just gross no matter how many mints I sucked on. My hair was lacquered into place and pulled a little too tight, but it was smooth and professional-looking. Blingy sparkly jewelry. And I wore my slinky synthetic knit indestructo-separates; the one eco-grace there is that at least I bought them secondhand on ebay.
It felt weird. Fun, but weird. Like I was playing dress-up or something. I'm totally not complaining--it was an awesome gig, and I don't think I sucked or anything, so I really hope they may ask me again when anything like this comes up. It just didn't feel like...me.
Best of all, though, was coming home and cleaning the crap off my face with good stuff--I quickly whipped up my own little homemade facial cleanser, out of a little honey, a little yogurt, and some almond meal. (I have used oat flour sometimes for this too. Seriously, try this. Your face will thank you.) Thank you, Crunchy Betty. Cleaned the chemicals off my face remarkably quickly and easily, and left my face all soft and sucking up the lovely goodness. A cup of ginger-mint tea before bed. I washed my face again with the same stuff the next morning. Last night, gave my hair a hot oil treatment with jojoba oil, olive oil, and a sprig of rosemary from my patio plant. And by this morning, I feel vaguely like myself again, and at last the petro-lipstick taste is gone from my mouth.
This is not exactly a substantive post, I'm aware. I feel like like a total green slacker, compared to my superhero colleagues who make kefir and grow shrooms and stuff like that...but as usual, I'm curious. I suspect most of us can do the "ordinary" parts of our lives with a lot less consumption and chemically stuff than we used to before starting our green journeys, but what do we do when we find ourselves in situations where being our casual natural green selves becomes a business liability? Anyone ever find themselves in that kind of situation, especially on a daily basis? How do you handle it?
For myself, I'm honestly not losing any sleep over this. I think Erin's faithful 80-20 rule for going green is an awesome yardstick (try to do the green thing 80% of the time, and don't sweat the other 20%), and stuff like this goes easily into the 20 zone. It's not a guilt trip thing. But it just got me thinking...
So, the two questions: First, anyone really genuinely have any tips for going mainstream-glam without too many chemicals and weird things put onto/into our bodies?
Second, anyone out there who deals with wishing they could be greener but literally can't, because of career (or family or cultural) pressure to the contrary?
Please, hit the comments! I don't think I've heard anyone talk about this much thus far...
--Jenn the Greenmom