LOTZA ZUKES ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPE
- 2 cups sugar (I used light brown, but white would work)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, or 1/2 cup applesauce or pumpkin puree and 1/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups shredded zucchini (yes, that’s 4 cups!)
- 1/3 cup orange juice (I’m sure substitutions would work here)
- 3 cups flour (I used 2 of whole wheat, 1 of white; your choice)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (could reduce if desired)
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins or nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350*.
In large bowl, mix sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
Beat until well blended.
Add zucchini and orange juice; stir well.
Combine flour with next 5 ingredients; Add to zucchini mixture; stir well. (Do not overmix)
Add nuts; stir gently to combine.
Pour into pans. You have options here:
- 2 greased and floured 9in loaf pans, or
- one loaf pan and one 9×9 baking pan; these were of course a bit thinner, and they baked a bit faster, or
- 1 bundt pan, or
- 24-ish muffins worth of muffin tins
Bake for about 60 minutes; till it springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick comes out clean. (The bundt took 65; the muffins 35. Keep an eye on it.)
Let cool in pans 10-20 minutes.
Remove from pans and let cool completely.
Best of all, my kids know it's zucchini bread/cake/muffins, and they love it anyway. Seriously, I'm very proud of this one--I've made two batches in the last 3 days, and they're getting munched up like there's no tomorrow. Fortunately, since there is a tomorrow, I have another gallon bag of grated zucchini in the fridge...