The greenest book of all may be the one that you borrow from your library. It's the cheapest book, as well. Public libraries aren't just a book lover's paradise, they're also a way to reduce the environmental footprint of your summer reading. Today I'm sharing five reasons to love your public library.
|My kids love the library|
1. Libraries Reduce ClutterI'll come clean and admit it - I have shelves full of books in my home that I've read once and kept, thinking I would read again, but I never have. And even worse, I have many books that I've owned for years and never read. When you borrow a book from your library you're not filling your shelves with unread books that just become more clutter to collect dust.
2. Reuse - It's one of the Three R'sWhen you buy a book, how many people read it? In the best case scenario, I would guess that a book may pass through a few people's hands before it bites the dust. Popular library books, on the other hand, can each be read and enjoyed by dozens of people. You're reducing your consumption of new books, as well as reusing each book many times.
3. Kids Love Summer Reading ProgramsMost public libraries offer summer reading programs for kids. My daughter looks forward to participating in the summer reading club each year. The programs are free, they expose kids to new literature, and they reduce summer reading loss, so your kids will be ready when school starts again. Plus, visiting your library is a great way to spend time over summer vacation.
4. Librarians are Fabulous PeopleWhen you're doing some research, looking for a book recommendation, or searching for local resources, your librarian is a fount of wisdom. Librarians don't just issue library cards and check out books, they're experts on tracking down information, and they're in the know about what's happening in your community.
5. Libraries Offer More Than BooksPublic libraries carry a wide array of materials that users can access. My library has newspapers and periodicals, paper books, e-books, audio books, CDs and DVDs. Libraries also offer free internet access to their users. If you'd like to listen to your book as you take a road trip this summer, or you'd like some great summer tunes for your kids, your library can hook you up.
What do you love about your public library?