Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day in the Life of Retro Housewife

This month some of us here at the Green Phone Booth have decided to share a little peek into our lives. I'm excited about this because I'm pretty nosey and love to learn how other people live.

I kept notes yesterday on what I did all day. I of course didn't write every little detail down but you should get a good idea of what my day is like, of course everyday is a bit different.

I woke up around 8 a.m. but dozed until around 9 a.m. because I hadn't slept well. After I got up I oil pulled, brushed my teeth, and got ready for the day. After all of that, I sorted the laundry, striped the sheets off of the bed, and put a load in the washer.

After doing a few productive things, I made a cup HUGE mug of tea. While doing that I put up a few dishes and then drank my tea while reading emails and Facebook. I spent far to long replying to emails and working playing on Facebook.

I finally got off my butt to make some lunch. I eat lunch pretty early because my husband has to eat early at work and wants dinner early. For lunch I had a tuna sandwich, grapes, and iced tea. While eating I watched the Daily Show on Hulu.

After lunch I try to be really productive. Lately I've been setting a timer and I clean and do chores for 30 minutes and then work on the computer or do something fun for 5 minutes. Seems to keep me on track.

During the afternoon I did three more loads of laundry, put baking soda and vinegar in a drain to clear it out, did my daily quick clean in the bathroom, cleaned the tooth brushes, picked up around the house, unloaded the dishwasher, lightly dusted the house (we live near a cement plant so the house is always dusty), sprayed sofas, the bed, and such with homemade fabric refreshing spray, started some pizza dough rising for dinner, put clean sheets on the bed, sprayed the garage with peppermint spray which keeps mice and bugs away, and refilled my diffusers and started them.

My husband got home around 5 p.m. Shortly after he got home I made pizza sauce, got the toppings for the pizza ready, and got the pizza dough on to cookie sheets to rise a second time. After I cooked the pizza and the rest of dinner, we ate and watched Monday Night Football. During the game I folded some laundry and worked on my laptop.

The only picture I took all day, oops.

By about the second half of the second game, my husband went to bed. I then did another load of laundry, a load of dishes, got his clothes ready for the next day, made his lunch, got ready for bed, wrote a blog post, started another blog post, edited some pictures, played on the internet for a little bit to unwind and finally got in bed at 1:50 a.m.

So what does your day look like? I would love to hear about it!


Eco Yogini said...

holy crap! that is a late night. i'm in bed by 10pm if i can help it!
sounds like a full day- thanks so much for sharing!

DramaMama said...

Can you tell me more about the peppermint oil for deterring mice? There are mice squeezing into cracks of the chicken coop and I am hoping for a safe way to prevent that! I tried googling it but no one seemed to say it worked, just that they were going to try it...thank you!

Julia (Color Me Green) said...

that sounds like my vision of if i got to stay home, which i hope to do some day. it certainly does sound more relaxing than my life of spending 90 minutes commuting and 8-9 straight hours of sitting at my computer trying to wade through the stress of my job. and then figuring out how to do chores in the off time...

Lisa Sharp said...

Eco Yogini: haha I'm a night owl and rarely in bed before 1 a.m.

DramaMama: It works very well, there are a couple of ways to do it. You can get a spray bottle and put water and a few teaspoons of peppermint oil in it (warning, peppermint oil is VERY strong and will burn your eyes if you use to much). Or soak cotton balls in it and stick it around where you think they are getting in. They hate the smell.

Julia: Warning, if you work at home or are a stay at home wife or mom, everyone thinks you can do all of the volunteer work in any group you are in haha. Learning to say no becomes super important. ;) While I do have a freelance job it's nice to do it on my own time. I'm ADD so going back and forth between tasks keeps me focused. :)


Blog Widget by LinkWithin