Three months ago, I embarked on the Great No Poo Experiment to see if I could switch from washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner to baking soda and vinegar. Why go no poo?
- To save money. Compare a $5 bottle of shampoo to a $1 box of baking soda.
- To save packaging. Shampoo and conditioner usually come in plastic bottles, and even if you recycle those, their next life is probably a park bench. Baking soda comes in a cardboard box and vinegar in a glass jar, and because you only use a small amount each time you wash your hair, you end up using a lot less packaging.
- To avoid potentially harmful chemicals. Although there are plenty of eco-friendly, less toxic shampoos and conditioners on the market, what could be less harmful than baking soda and vinegar?
- To live naturally. Hey parents, have you ever noticed how long you can go without washing your kids hair? Supposedly, that's how hair is supposed to be, and if you wash it less and put fewer chemicals on it, your hair can look that natural, luscious, and shiny too.
Six more weeks, and I'm a convert! What changed?
Several people commented/emailed me suggesting that the problem might be hard water, so I turned to my trusty friend Google and discovered several solutions:
- boil the baking soda/water mixture before using
- add some salt to the baking soda/water mixture
- buy a water softener system
I have no idea why, but it worked! My hair now looks and feels normal again - no more toothpaste feeling or white residue. And it not only looks fine, I think it looks healthier - less frizzy, more shiny, all around more manageable.
So there you have it. It's been a long three months to get here, but no poo works for me!
Note the natural wave that for most of my life, I've blow-dryed out because it would dry funky if left to it's own devices. (Though it's hard to say whether it's air-drying better now because of the no poo or simply because my hair is getting longer...)
Either way, it looks nice, healthy, and normal. No one would suspect that I don't use shampoo on my hair!