Some folks in the blogosphere have declared today the Urban Homesteaders Day of Action, and we Boothers couldn't resist joining in the fun. I definitely have some opinions about trademarking terms that are in general usage (as well as photographs of objects people have in their closets), but rather than wading into those murky legal waters, I thought I'd share some past Booth posts about urban homesteads.
As I prepared to write this post, I discovered that phew! we have a lot of posts related to urban homesteading. If you'd like to get lost in blogland for a few hours, check out our tags on chickens, composting, farming, food preservation, foraging, and gardening.
Here are some highlights from the past:
- Sourpuss: The Raven makes vinegar from scratch!
- Local Harvest: Foraging for acorns: The Raven and her family forage for acorns and then make pancakes.
- When Life Hands You Virginia Creeper, make baskets!: Truffula resourcefully uses the virginia creeper that's taking over her yard to make baskets.
- Compost Happens: EnviRambo gives a run down on composting.
- Upcycled, Recycled, Homemade Greenhouse: The Greenhabilitator gets the most awesome greenhouse. I am so jealous!
- Lessons from my first garden: Before she was Sustainamom, Jaime shared some useful (and some very funny) tips that she learned from her first year as a gardener.
- Growing in America: "Ima Greenie" interviews Green Bean on the volunteers (wink, wink) helping out her garden.
- Down on the Farm: Green Bean describes the transition of her front yard lawn to an edible garden.
- Farm in a Jar: Green Bean grows some sprouts in a jar.
- Carpe Summer: Green Bean "relishes" in the last summer's harvest.
- There's a whole lot of fermentin' goin' on: Truffula experiments with kimchi...and then moves on to sauerkraut and kefir.. and then runs out of jars!
- Stop and smell the strawberries: Truffula makes strawberry jam.
- Raising chickens in the suburbs: A guest post from JAM about her experience raising chickens.